Monday, July 16, 2007

What's my opponent's best move?

Don't expect so many of these, in general! Maybe I can post two or three a week, normally.

Here's another one, maybe it's a similar theme to the last one -- maybe not! This is from a long time ago, I don't really know why I saved this position to my online notes -- and I didn't have the graphics, so pardon my quick and sloppy attempt to make it look a little like the game screen.

It was game 167611 from tournament 4706. I had BANG (p(4,4), 6, 12, 12, X), my opponent, SG_1, was playing AGATHA (4, 6, (8,8), 20, X). It's the first round, first my X swing was set to 4, his was set to 20. I had just performed a skill attack with a 6-sided die showing 3 and a X Swing 4-sided die showing 1, targeting SG_1's 6-sided die showing 4. after the reroll, things looked [something] like this:


Me: ElihuRoot
My Button Man: Bang (p(4,4), 6, 12, 12, X) Score: 39 (2 sides)
Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 0 / 0 / 0 (Out of 3 wins)
My Captured Dice: (8,8) twin die, 6-sided die, X Swing die (20 sides)

ice Poison Twin Die
(Both with 4 sides)
6-sided die X Swing
(with 4 sides)






Value 2 5 1

Dice 4-sided die 20-sided die
6-sided die
Value 4 16
(4) captured last turn
Him: SG_1
His Button Man: Agatha (4, 6, (8,8), 20, X) Score: 36 (-2 sides)
Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 0 / 0 / 0 (Out of 3 wins)
His captured dice 12-sided die, 12-sided die


So: what should he do? He has five possible power attacks, two with the 4-sided die and three with the 20-sided die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he takes the 6-sided die with the 20-sided die and then takes the twin die with the 20-sider, he has about an 80% chance of getting a tie. If he does anything else, he loses.

Anonymous said...

gryphon is correct. This is an endgame scenario where you look for a way to win or tie. If Agatha loses any more buttons, they lose. They have to take the poison die at some point; the only path to tie is 20-sided takes the 6-sided, then the 20-sided takes the poison twin, then take the 4-sided.