Friday, July 27, 2007

I think 2-3 posts per week is all I can consistently manage -- what should D. have done?

I'll do my best to post a puzzle when I can; I also want to go back and offer some comments and replies on older puzzles (though it's probably best that I don't give my own opinions too soon). Finally, I need to write a few more detailed strategy essays (like telling you what that essay left out about Crab)

In the meantime, here's something from a recent game. (say, challenge me to a match to help me generate more of these situations! Pick whatever buttons you think lead to interesting problems. I don't care about the odds, I'll take either side, though if you give me a ridiculously outmatched button, I'd mildly prefer the match to be "just for fun" -- or we can play both the game and the reverse match.)

In the game below, Desdinova just made a power attack that, unfortunately for him, rolled high enough for me to recapture it with my own 20-sided die -- on the other hand, it forces me to reroll that die and puts it at risk. He could still eke out a tie. (actually, if I reroll a 2, I suppose there's a chance he might win!) Was there a better move D. could have made?



Button Men Game #600869

Tournament Legal challenge, copying communication from game 600484

Skills in this game: Poison, Shadow, X Swing
Player: ElihuRoot *Dead Dude* *Fanatic*
Your Button Man: Caine (ps4 ps4 s20 s20 sX) Score: 26 (8 sides) Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 0 / 1 / 0 (Out of 3 wins)
Your Captured Dice: 16-sided die, X Swing 4-sided die
Poison Shadow
4-sided die
Shadow
20-sided die

Shadow X Swing
(with 4 sides)
3 17
4
Captured last turn
Poison Shadow
6-sided die
Poison Shadow
12-sided die
20-sided die
1 1 18
Opponent: Desdinova
Button Man: Bluff (ps6 ps12 16 20 X) Score: 14 (-8 sides) Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 1 / 0 / 0
Captured Dice: Shadow 20-sided die, Poison Shadow 4-sided die, Shadow X Swing 4-sided die

Results from last turn
Desdinova is performing a power attack with a 20-sided die showing 10,
targeting ElihuRoot's Shadow X Swing 4-sided die showing 4.

The 20-sided die is rerolled and the new value is 18.

Desdinova takes ElihuRoot's die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The move that he made gave him a 10% chance of winding up in a strong position (15 or 16, allowing him to take your 20-sider), a 10% chance of a horrible position (3 or 4, allowing you to take his 20-sider without risking yours), a 20% chance of a bad position (17 to 20, which he could win if all resulting die rolls come out just right, but odds are very low), and varying odds of making the right roll to get a skill attack on your 20-sider the other 60% of the time.

If he'd taken the same die with his 12-sider then:
3 or 4 forces you to take the 12-sider, giving him a tie;
7 lets him take both your remaining dice with no risk to his 20-sider for a win;
6 lets him take your 20-sider with a 90% chance of his 20-sider being safe;
1, 5, 11, and 12 give him a 1-in-6 chance of getting the right roll for a skill attack on your 20-sider when he takes your other die;
2 gives him a 13-in-72 chance of getting the right roll for a skill attack on your 20-sider if he uses a skill attack to take your other die;
8, 9, and 10 give him a 15% chance of getting the right roll for a skill attack and a 20% chance of losing his 20-sider by taking your other die with his 20-sider.
This gives him some chance of at least getting a tie no matter what he rolls, and a 25% chance of a guaranteed tie or win.

Taking the same die with the 6-sider, on the other hand, results in:
1, 2, and 6 are functionally the same as for the same rolls on the 12-sider;
5 gives him a 25% chance of getting the right roll for a skill attack when he takes your other die;
3 and 4 give him a 1-in-6 chance of getting the right roll for a skill attack, and losing the 6-sider doesn't help him any.
This gives nothing better than a 1-in-6 chance of a 90% chance of winning.

So, overall, I'd say that taking that 4-sider with his 12-sider was his best move, while taking it with his 20-sider might have been his worst move.