Wednesday, October 10, 2007

One of those things I love about Crab

I'm reconstructing this from memory, and the format is not the one usually used with focus-die at the start of the game -- but I think it's clear enough...
[UPDATE: it has been pointed out that, despite the post title, Crab is not one of the buttons in this game! The theme in this position is one I associate so strongly with Crab that, in writing this post, I wound up reflexively invoking her.]

this is from #612930
-- my opponent has the initiative, but I could use my focus dice to seize it. Should I? how? what specifically should I do with my focus dice?

Skills in this game: Focus, X Swing
Player: ElihuRoot *Dead Dude* *Fanatic*
Your Button Man: Naga (f6 8 8 8 f20) Score: 25 (6 sides) Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 1 / 0 / 0 (Out of 3 wins)
Focus
6-sided die
8-sided die 8-sided die 8-sided die Focus
20-sided die
5 8 8 3 18
4-sided die 6-sided die 8-sided die 10-sided die X Swing
(with 4 sides)
2 6 7 9 3
Opponent: Desdinova
Button Man: Kitty Cat Seven (4 6 8 10 X) Score: 16 (-6 sides) Rounds Won/Lost/Tied: 0 / 1 / 0

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, I'd lower my focus die to claim initiative, then attack their highest die with my 20:18. It's the only possible chance I have to keep it from getting captured on the first turn.

Anonymous said...

You want to protect your 20-sider, and that means leave it high, at a number your opponent won't be able to make. But 18 ain't it, because there's no way to take his 9, and his other four dice are two pairs-that-add-to-9, so one of those will still be around even after you make the first capture. I'd lower your small focus die to 1 to get initiative, lower the 20-sider to 16 so it's safe, and capture his 8-sider-showing-7 with one of your 8-siders.

Ted said...

Jim got it -- I really love it when a situation occurs in which I can keep my big focus die safe from a first turn skill attack by lowering it a little! I think I'd lower it to 17, then take the 6-sided die -- that's safe too -- maybe J.'s choice is a little better, since he captures a larger die -- on the other hand, my approach keeps the 20 sided die a little farther from reach as the game progresses.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I didn't even spot that the 20 was a Focus too!