Wednesday, June 10, 2015


I haven't thought long enough about this to have a strong opinion, but it looked like it might be subtle to compute -- prove me wrong!

Why shouldn't D. trip the shadow die? why shouldn't D trip the poison die?  which is more dangerous?


Game #1405  •  ElihuRoot (Mushu) vs. Devious (slamkrypare)  •  Round #3
slamkrypare practice!
Opponent's turn to attack


m(U) sH(U) po(R) k(10)
Button: Mushu
Player: ElihuRoot
W/L/T: 2/0/0 (3)  •  Score: 10 (-12 sides)
Dice captured: z(12), (10)
sH(U=8)
5
po(R=16)
6
1
t(1)
2
(10)
1
(Y=1)
 6 
(10)
Dice captured: k(10), m(12)
W/L/T: 0/2/0 (3)  •  Score: 28 (+12 sides)
Player: Devious
Button: slamkrypare
t(1) (10) (10) z(12) (Y)

3 comments:

James said...

It looks like the dilemma here is whether to try for a draw or to try for a win.

If the aim is to try for a draw, then all Devious needs to do is capture no dice, while losing all his dice. This becomes impossible if the sH(U=8) is rerolled, though, since it grows in size. Thus, the only possible option here is to trip the poison die and hope for a number of high rolls from it.

Looking at the score, though, it seems a bad move to aim for a draw, since Mushu obviously has the upper hand, having already won two rounds. Thus, I would play for a win, even though the chance of this is less than 10% (capturing the sH(U=10) directly, and then avoiding capturing the po(R=16)).

Unknown said...

Remind me how to make a post of my own, please?

Ted said...

This blog doesn't permit public posts -- or even public comments, I moderate them and trim the spam.

If you have an idea for a buttonman-related post, you are welcome to send it to me [non-anonymously] and I'll post it with accreditation.
If you want permanent authoring priviledges, I'm open to considering that, we can discuss it.

Or you can and start your own blog, I'm happy to link to anything buttonman-related.