Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Focus dice ----ing contest

[warning: this is not *quite* how the game appeared, I modified one die's value to make the puzzle interesting.  OK, I'm in battle to get the initiative, but I'm bound to lose it, am I not?

Should I just skip it altogether and pass, rather than waste my relatively large die rolls? Or should I turn down my dice to either get initiative or at least make L.  have to turn down his big dice and gain initiative?

Or... is there something else I might do?



Game #364  •  ElihuRoot (Naga) vs. Limax (Phoenix)  •  Round #3
Your turn to try to gain initiative using die skills

Player: ElihuRootPlayer: Limax
Button: NagaButton: Phoenix
W/L/T: 1/1/0 (3)W/L/T: 1/1/0 (3)
RecipeValue
f(6)
(8)2
(8)5
(8)5
f(20)
RecipeValue
(4)3
(6)1
f(8)7
(10)8
f(20)7

4 comments:

James said...

I would probably decline to respond, since my f(20) is currently safe, and because turning the f(6) down to 1 (which is the only choice) doesn't help to put pressure on the opponent.

Ted said...

But the f20 is NOT currently safe, it has a total of 19. L. can sum to 19: 3+1+7+8.

On the other hand, were you to turn the f6 down to 1 to gain initiative, L. could turn one of his focus dice to 1, regain initiative and STILL sum to 19 with the other dice.

Is it hopeless?

jimmosk said...

Not hopeless at all. It's perfectly legal to turn your f(6) down to 1 AND your f(20) down to 17. Then there'd be no way for your opponent to take it after regaining initiative.

Ted said...

exactly! the only way for him to sum to 17 is 3+7+7, but he'd have to make one of the 7s dizzy to gain initiative.

this is one of the things I love about focus dice, especially buttons with f20s. Crab, with two f20s, has this sort of thing happen relatively often.